Tuesday 7 May 2013

Four styles wearing my newest project.



Here's the new dress that I mentioned earlier on. It didn't take that long to make, or it took years to make, depending on how you look at it. I bought this fabric in Japan a loooong time ago you see, and the idea was to make a lolita dress out of it, but for the longest time I had no idea what I wanted to make.

I wanted something simple because the print was so cute. Perhaps some kimono influence too, but no sode sleeves. The fabric sat in my storage and sat... and sat. It was too cute to lose so I didn't dare to use it if I didn't know exactly what I was going to make out of it. Yesterday morning I finally got an idea, got to work and less than half a day later, a new dress yay!


Today I put some finishing touches to it and made that huge tsumami kanzashi -style hairclip, put the whole do on and tried it in various combos. Prepare for two cases of Holy Sameposing, Batman!


The fearsome kainopose strikes again. I've gotten so used to doing this that I don't even notice that I'm doing it until I'm editing the photos and find several almost 100% identical shots. Aaaagh.

Anyway, first the dress as it is, then with the yellow butterfly obi. 


Then for another same!pose case, aaagh. 
The sakura + bridge obi suited the colours of the dress surprisingly well. The other pic is still of the same butterfly obi, I just had a bit of fun folding it over in the front so that a band of the brown underside is showing.


Musubi shot!


Another musubi shot!


And here's a close-up of the hairclip.

All in all this dress was really fun to make! I'm not sure if the colour's good for me but then again I have another fabric - dark brown - which would definitely look good as a dress similar to this one. Hmm.

2 comments:

  1. It is a lovely dress (and it gives me hope that some day I'll also use all the fabrics I got from Japan...). Love the fishies which masquerade as leaves. But I prefer it without obi - I think obi requires the balancing wide sleeve element, with narrow sleeves it looks somehow too bulky. Although in 2nd obi pic, with your arms in front, it looks very nice, perhaps the cord (obijime?) also helps. And back shoots are also nice. But best of all I like the dress without obi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I sent you a comment totally forgetting that I actually wore TWO different obis with this dress... ahem, my apologies. Let me try this again. :D

      You may well be right that it looks a bit "obi-heavy", I shall try to find a way of balancing it out with something. Wider sleeves perhaps, or maybe even a kimono underneath. Nothing wrong with wearing it as it is either, I'm looking forward to possible warm days this summer to wear this as a sun dress! :3

      Delete